You may have found yourself here because you're about to have a baby or know someone who is and you're just not sure what you or they REALLY need for that baby. There are so many things out there on the market for babies these days, all telling you they are MUST-HAVES! Well, most of them aren't. So, what do you REALLY need for newborns these days? Click the Read More tab and find out!
When you think of baby essentials and what is really necessary, we all go to the norm. Diapers, Wipes, Clothes, Blankets, Soap, Rash Cream, etc... We all KNOW this, but what are they things we may forget or don't know that are vital?
1. Breast Pump- Even if you do not plan on breast feeding, getting even one manual pump can really be a life saver if you change your mind. Breast feeding is a personal choice even though some these days think if you don't breast feed, you're a horrible person. Screw them. You do what is right for you and your baby and what keeps both of you happy. The best baby is a FED baby, but you also have the right to change your mind and having the pump on hand instead of having to wait once you do, can be a challenge.
Breast Pump Idea: go.magik.ly/ml/7mff/
2. Swaddle Blankets- They do this with burping clothes or receiving blankets in the hospital and if you're a new parent, this can be SO intimidating. Your baby looks like a suffocating burrito and whenever you try to do it, the baby turns into a ninja and your burrito looks more like it got dropped in water. This takes time and practice, but is worth it! Swaddling is what the baby is used to feeling in the womb. Tight, warm, secure. They didn't have much room in your stomach either. Just make sure you do not have it too tight so they can't breath and you'll have one happy baby. Some babies are particular and like ones that leave their arms open or their feet. Each baby is different so, find what works for them and you will be glad you did!
1. Easy To Use SwaddleMe: go.magik.ly/ml/7mf9/
2. Muslim Swaddle Blankets: http://go.magik.ly/ml/7mfb/
3. Woombie Convertible Swaddler (3-6 months)- http://go.magik.ly/ml/7mfd/
3. Pacifiers- People tell you that pacifiers are bad for your kids and maybe they are, once they have TEETH. There is no evidence these days showing that your newborn using a pacifier will make them have buck teeth. However, studies do show that pacifiers help prevent SIDS. They also help with comfort,sleeping, and preventing the baby from over eating. So, there's that! There are a TON of different pacifiers out there so it may take a while to find whats right for your newborn. I have three kids and each one took a different kind and style. Grab a few different shapes and sizes and brands and try them all.
4. Gas Drops/Gripe Water/ Probiotics- These three things will change your life. Especially if you have a baby with colic or it's the middle of the night and your baby is freaking out and gassy. Gas drops instantly relieve gas from the baby not burping well enough or you ate something that day that upset their tummy in the breast milk, or the formula isn't settling right. Who knows. Babies are just gassy and they can have a hard time getting it out and it does not feel good for them. Gripe water can also help with that but I personally find that gas drops work best. However, gripe water is wonderful for a baby that has reflux or hiccups. Its essentially all natural ingredients with the main ingredients being fennel extract and and organic ginger. Probiotics are something that all babies should take and can help so much with colic or babies that have a hard time digesting their food. They support digestive health and immune systems. My son had colic and was super gassy after eating and these drops worked almost instantly for him. They were a real life saver and are healthy from newborn to adult.
Gas Drops- http://go.magik.ly/ml/7mg1/
Gripe Water- http://go.magik.ly/ml/7mg2/
5. Bassinets- Most people just get a crib and call it a day. Others, spend way too much on things like docatot which can be hundreds of dollars. I found one of the best things to have is a portable bassinet. You can fit them right next to your bed when you sleep and they can be moved anywhere without taking up a lot of space. That way, if you have any pets, they can't lay on them or jump across them, but they are always in your view and can be moved wherever you go. Add on the obvious as well that they are portable and you can easily take them out of the house with you.
Rock n Play Sleeper- go.magik.ly/ml/7mgd/
6. Bottles- Even if you breast feed, these are vital. You may just stop breast feeding one day and want to switch to formula. You may want to start supplementing formula at times. You also may just want a break from boob feeding and want someone else to feed the baby your breast milk. There are many reasons why having bottles on hand right away is a good idea. You may want to grab a few different kinds as well because the baby not like the nipple one on kind.
7. Nursery Care Kit- Nursery care kits are VERY essential. I would put them on your baby registry right away! They come with every little thing you may not think of for special times with a newborn. They can come with nasal suckers, nail clippers, nail files, medicine pacifiers, medicine droppers, teethers, thermometers, gum cleaners and so much more! Its literally a "I never thought of that" kit!
Nursery Care Kit- go.magik.ly/ml/7mgo/
8. Backseat Mirror- This is one of those things that people are usually like, "Do we really need this?". Yes, yes you do. If you're like any mother especially a new mother, this will save not only your peace of mind, but you having to sit in the back seat until your child is old enough to face the front. You put these right on the back seat, in front of the baby, so you can look in the rear view mirror or behind you and see the baby perfectly. This will let you know if they are okay or sleeping or awake. Babies can choke or spit up or you may just want to check to see if they are alright and be alone in the car. There are many reasons why this is a NEED.
Backseat Mirror- go.magik.ly/ml/7mgt/
9. Baby Carrier- These are things that even I thought were optional. They can be, if you want to suffer. Sometimes, babies just want their parents. To be close to your chest and feel your heartbeat and warmth and thats what truly soothes them. If you don't have a baby carrier, you will end up carrying the baby around constantly and never getting anything done. Also, if you want to leave the house, they are perfect! This way, you don't hurt your back and get chores done while keeping your baby happy. They have wraps for newborns and carriers for a little bit older babies.
10. Baby Monitor- a ton of people go without these or do not think they can afford them and that is so far from the truth! These days, they can be less expensive than a lot of the unnecessary things people get for their babies and they are vital to have! You can get simple ones that just let you hear the baby or you can get top notch ones that are like web cams and tell you the temp of the room and allow you to talk to and see your baby. This is vital when your baby starts sleeping in their crib at night or they are down for a nap or you need to go to the bathroom or shower and need to keep an eye on your child.
Baby Monitor- go.magik.ly/ml/7mh9/
There you have it! Ten things that some people may not think is needed or forget to get until its too late. These can be items you already think of or may be great reminders for someone trying to find a baby gift for a loved one. If you have any more great ideas, let us know in the comments!
Welcome to the Mother Hood side of my blog! This is a judgmental free zone where we can discuss children and family issues as well as review some products motherhood related! Us mothers need to stick together! Feel free to email me: email@example.com